Tuesday 15 May 2012

Mothers Day 12 & 13 May 2012

Well, it was just Mum and I for a special mother and daughter weekend


Did the customary tour of the house and garden, and was pleased to see that the "laundry" was finally finished, - the bricks for the floor had been laid, and the outside painted  - looks good

completed laundry

Those funny blobby self seeded holly hock type plants had finally flowered - teeny tiny little purple flowers - certainly not worth the wait


holly hock wannabees on the left


Single teeny holly hock wannabee flower

I ended up pulling these out - to give my citrus more room

And, speaking of citrus I had bought yet another type - this type a blood orange - planted it near the pumpkin patch.  And Mum harvested 2 of the pumpkins from out the front - as the vine was looking decidedly scrappy and so had to go....

I also planted 4 x bare rooted roses 2 x icebergs, and 2 x blue moons


one of the icebergs

Had a delicious George Foreman lunch - of turkish bread, smoked chicken, cheese and my fabulous fejoa chutney.  Mum actually commented on how good the chutney was - and that was before I had told her it was the one I had made.  She was so impressed...

And to spoil Mum even more - made up an antipasto platter before dinner which we had in the dining room - offered her a G&T also - but she didn't feel like it, might have been a cold for one actually

Given that I had left the solar bud lights outside on the veranda the last time we came, they were good and charged up now, so I attached 2 lots to the railing on the veranda, looped one around the bed head in Mum's room, and another back in the bathroom


solar bud lights on veranda


solar bud lights on Mum's bed head

Of course the pub for dinner - quite busy, as the takeaway is still closed.  We did see that the Royal had its lights on and a couple of people were in there vacuuming - good sign.  I suppose that means that Bruce has gone, at least he gave us back our window blinds

Had a chat with Enzo as usual,  and he said he'd have us around for dinner at some stage - which was rather nice

Home by 8.30 or 9, and a game of scrabble by the fire in the dining room, very cosy, and we just read the newspapers afterwards.  I had suggested watching High Society on dvd given that we were going to the Grace Kelly exhibition on Sunday - but she thought it was too late

But not too late to make some of my fab bread maker bread - which I did, and programmed to have it ready by 7am

Made Mum a special Mother's day breakfast on Sunday morning - juice, coffee, free range eggs from David, hash browns, bacon and of course my bread.  What a feast !  And did it all on my wood fired stove


Mum enjoying her breakfast


And because it was quite cold outside and at times blustery and wet, we stayed inside a while keeping warm in front of the fire - reading the Sunday papers


opened up the door - to let more heat out


I had to re-stock the wood quite a few times- as I was using small pieces that Gordon the roofer had cut up for us.  I found one piece that still had a bit of slate nailed on it


bit of slat wood from the roof with some slate left nailed on it

However, it didn't rain that much - so I gave the new plants a good watering (had also watered them yesterday) - as it is very apparent with the calendulas that those that didn't get any water near the roof line are small and stunted, while those in the open are comparatively huge .  And I don't want my lovely ew plants to die.  In fact, I'm wondering which of my many citrus will give me the first of much fruit...

huge calendulas in foreground, stunted ones near palm

Mum also wanted to do a bit of scrumping - so went back to the apple tree in the paddock, not so laden now, but we still managed to get a large bag full.  That will be the last haul for this season.  Mum will stew them or make apple cake etc

Now, given our large breakfast, we just had a relatively light lunch of a sandwich and some fruit - and then off to Bendigo for the Grace Kelly exhibition - which we had to book in advance.  we both enjoyed it very much, and then back home to Melbourne for a Mother's Day family dinner



  

No comments:

Post a Comment