Thursday 15 November 2012

Singin in the rain (and digging) 10 & 11 November 2012


Well, a lightening trip this time, as Steve and Denise had told me that there was going to be a special viewing of Singin in the Rain at the Town hall on Saturday 10 November.  It was the last movie that had been shown there, back in the 1950s, and this was the anniversary of its last viewing  - so here it was again

Poster outside the town Hall


The only thing was that we were having friends over for lunch on Sunday in Melbourne  - so it had to be a rather quick visit (and we had only been up a few days before hand - Melbourne Cup weekend)

But, obviously I couldn't resist (the rest of the family could) and I drove up early on Saturday after dropping Fraser at school cricket

As (nearly) always, it was a glorious sunny blue day. I firstly went and said hello to Steve and Denise, and then did a little food shopping for dinner tonight

I also introduced myself to Marge who lives across the road from the IGA, and has a wonderful rose garden out the front.  I had been meaning to go and congratulate the owner/gardener on their beautiful blooms, but as it was she was out the front gardening, so I walked over and started chatting, and told her how much I admired her roses.  She told me how a lady from Bridgewater had come and taken 150 cuttings, and then put them in a bathtub in her garden.  She only lost 2 - and gave them away throughout the neighborhood, keeping a few for herself.  Marge said I could also have cuttings at any time.  I may well take her up on that next Winter when it comes time to prune the roses.

Anyway, the task that I had set for myself today was to get rid of the weeds on those 2 large piles of dirt that the plumber had (scandalously) left behind next to a large hole.  Why he couldn't fill it back in - who knows.

Lots of weeds on the 2 x piles of dirt

I used the mattock to get them out - rather than by hand - it was much easier/more efficient.  I was also mindful of snakes in the long grass - didn't see any.  And I fantasised about just setting a match to it all, rather than pulling put the weeds.  Obviously this was an idle daydream inspired by laziness, I would never seriously consider doing anything that reckless.

I eventually finished the denuding of the piles....

Weeds now around the dirt piles


 And thought that I may as well start shovelling - as you can see in the below photo - I have already started to fill in the hole (forgot to take a photo at the very start - but then again it was covered with weeds there too)

the hole (hard to tell the depth)

I ended up almost flattening one pile

One pile gone, one pile to go


hole can still take more dirt


So, after a lot of digging, it was time to shower and have dinner

Denise and Steve came and picked me up at 7pm (despite living across the road from the Town Hall).  They dressed up in 50s gear and came in Denise's old chevy??



We did a bit of a spin around town, and stooped at Bubbletoes for a pre-film drink

 The film was great - however not that many people were there - but we all enjoyed ourselves

The next morning, in keeping with me doing something with lemons each time I go there, I made up some preserved lemons  using Stephanie Alexander's recipe

Chopped up lemons with sea salt 

finished product
Gave the vegie garden and roses a quick watering, and then headed home around 9.15 - to get ready for lunch (had most everything already prepared)

No comments:

Post a Comment