Tuesday 5 March 2013

Wasps and puddles March 2 & 3 2013

So, it was just Mum & I again, in the ute again, with of course a load again.

This time it was a bargain basement table that we bought for a song on Ebay.  It's probably 1920s? with barley twist legs, and a slightly damaged top.  But that doesn't really matter, as we plan to use it to display Justin's Dad's old model trains and tracks in the study - so we'll probably cover the top with another board which would be painted green.  In fact Justin plans to paint another board to put up behind it as a landscape background.

another ebay bargain
 Although Mum was up for lifting the table off the ute, and carrying it through to the house, I preferred to ask one of my Inglewood mates, and the lucky carrier was Steve.  I only asked him to take it into the hallway with me-as I thought it would be a bit much to ask him to cart it up the stairs.  Justin and I can manoeuvre it upstairs next weekend.

Anyway, Mum and I arrived before lunch time, and went for a bit of a wander into town to see what was happening.

Denise and Steve told us about another Coliban water problem (luckily not ours).  It appeared that a pipe had a slow leak under Storm Lane as puddles had formed.  Being of a scientific bent (do you want to comment on that Justin?) I swept the water away to see if it would refill over time.  David had thought that it was just surface water from some recent rain.  Anyway, it did re-fill - so there is definitely a leak, and I'll advise Coliban Water of the fact.

puddle on Storm lane #1


puddle on Storm Lane #2 in line with water pipe


swept most of the water away 3.33pm 2/3/13

water has refilled 7.10pm 2/3/13 

Apart from my scientific experiment, we pottered around a bit, played a couple of games of scrabble (one all) and had a lovely refreshing gin and tonic before dinner.  I had introduced Mum to G&Ts around this time last year, and she rather enjoyed them - under the portico out the front, very pleasant.

Gordon had also dropped in for a chat, and knocked a wasp's nest off the "Laundry" beam outside.  I'd spied it as we were sitting there playing scrabble.  He just got a large stick and whacked it.  Luckily they didn't even try and sting him, Mum and I were well away.




Pub for dinner -as that's another Inglewood tradition that Mum very much enjoys.  Had really quick service - under 10 minutes! (much longer last time)

More scrabble when we got home, and I also prepared some bread to bake for tomorrow

Once again waking up with the smell of fresh bread in the house is very appealing.  Had fresh Inglewood eggs with my fresh Inglewood bread for breakfast.  Perfect!

Well, Autumn is certainly in the air.  Although it's still hot during the day, it cools down at night, and you even need a jumper in the morning.  But it's all relative, during the day it felt nice and cool when we went back into the house.  However coming back into the house in the early morning - after watering the garden, the house felt warm.   Obviously the house temperature didn't change, but our perspective did.

Although I didn't want Mum to work here, she wanted to.  First she attacked the vegie patch which was looking a bit unkempt to her Germanic eyes.

Mum getting going in the vegie patch


there she goes

She wanted to cut back the spent artichoke flowers, and the lettuce towers that had well and truly gone to seed.  So, what Mum wants, Mum gets, and I let her roam free with the secateurs.

She also did a bit of sifting the gravel, and managed to bring down the pile a bit lower, while I filled up the gravel around the vegie patch with the sifted proceeds.

lower pile of gravel

I also went around the garden picking up rubbish, ie bits of glass, plastic, rocks etc.  But still no gold.  I did find a glass remnant that was QI (quite interesting to me) as it has Inglewood embossed on it.  I'm assuming it was some type of soft drink / milk bottle.

Inglewood shard of glass
And I finally got rid of that pesky plumbago and remains of the mirror bush under the hoop pine.  Hoorah!

After that I attacked the garden outside the kitchen door / side dining room window.

Before

After


Mum helped a bit too

long view

Given that we're civilised, we also listened to mp3 music as we gardened

ahh the good old outside powerpoint being put to use
And lastly, the wasps came back and wondered where their hive was.  I wonder how many more there will be when we come back next weekend?




No comments:

Post a Comment