Monday 14 April 2014

Weekend with Al #2 :- 5 & 6 April 2014

Well, it's been a long time between drinks for me and Alison up in Inglewood, as she last came up a couple of years ago....

Anyway, we turned on the weather for her and her dog Wally.  The sky was glorious and blue, and the temperature relatively balmy.

She arrived around lunchtime, and we had some of my home cooked pizzas under the big tree.  I was running a little bit late, as an underpinner had come to have a look around and hopefully give me a quote a bit earlier, and Damien and Nicole had also dropped in to see if I'd like to come to the pub for dinner as there was going to be an all you can eat buffet, and a band - including Kingower Mark afterwards.

Went for a wander around town after lunch, and we spied a cat in the window of the Adelphi Hotel (looked like Basil)

The cat sees Wally

and looks a bit concerned..

Wally hasn't noticed

Wally still hasn't noticed, but the cat is hissing and fur bristling

Walked past Kerry at the Royal, and she asked if we were coming to dinner tonight.  I was momentarily flummoxed, as Damien and Nicole had said dinner at the pub, so I thought they meant the Empire.  But then Kerry mentioned the band, and the buffet, so I realised it must have been the Royal.  I guess we don't normally refer to the Royal as a "pub"

grapevines at The Royal #1

grapevines at The Royal #2

Passed through the IGA on the way home, and was surprised/annoyed to see this typo on the Waste bucket

So can we say waist not want not?

Read the papers a bit, and then Damien, Nicole & Jerry came over around 5.30 for a drink on the veranda with us.  I had also made up some pate, and a guacamole dip, so we had that too, but not too much, as Kerry told us that we should be hungry....

veranda nibbles #1

Veranda nibbles #2
Well, we surely should have - as there was heaps of food at the Royal.  We arrived around 6.30, and nabbed the only empty table - which they had reserved earlier.  Saw Jim and Pat there, and Jim told me how he was making up a big batch of pies tomorrow :- Lamb shank pies with the bone sticking up out of the middle, and beef and burgundy pies - we'll look forward to those.

Also saw some of the Op shop ladies and said hello.

Anyway, the buffet was huge - first up a roast beef with gravy, a chicken and corn soup, salads, fried rice, chips, chicken & cashew stir fry, mongolian beef, meat lasagne. vegie lasagne, stuffed capsicum, and mini pavlovas, cheese cake and rum balls for dessert. And I'm sure I've left out some things also.  The kids would have loved it!

my heaped plate
  

pasta salad, coleslaw, green salad etc

Fried rice, mongolian beef, etc

lasagne etc 

Mini pavlovas
Was pleasantly surprised by the variety and quantity of the food, and I congratulated Kerry.  And then through to the function room, where the band was.  Initially it was pretty much our old favourites 501, and then a subset of 501, plus Kingower Mark and another bloke

band setting up

band #1
band #2

It was a good, enjoyable night

Inglewood eggs, on my home made bread with some of my home made jam for breakfast on Sunday - lovely (if I do say so myself).

And then a drive into Kingower, had a look at the old church, dropped into Blanche Barkly, but no one was there, and also dropped into the school house, but no one was there either.  Transpired that they were all at a CFA meeting  on the Village Green.  They'd seen us walk up to their place,  so Damien and Nicole came back., and gave us a cup of tea and some hot cross buns.  Damien also informed us that there were "no teabags" in Kingower, or there weren't supposed to be. He was sadly letting the home team down by stocking such common items in his pantry.  I assured him that there were certainly teabags in Inglewood, with a vast array in my own cupboards.

Back to the house for cold pizza for lunch, and Alison left soon afterwards, and Mum and Helen & kids arrived later in the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment