Thursday 26 June 2014

American night in Kingower - 21st & 22 June 2014

Well, this was just a lightning quick visit this time.

We had to come via Clunes as we were picking up Fraser from school, as he has been there for 8 weeks, and he graciously agreed to come to Inglewood with us, although he would have preferred to go straight back to the comforts of Melbourne.  I however, was keen to go to the dinner and movie night in Kingower - as we had missed the last few events, and I always enjoy them. I don't think I placed "undue" pressure on Fraser to come, but then again, maybe I did....

Anyway, it was rainy, miserable weather, I had planned to do a whole lot more work out in the garden, but it was just too wet.  So we lit a fire in the dining room and cocooned.

Justin and I also cleared away upstairs a bit.  As we re-made up the bed in the unnamed room, and put the green couch in the proposed bathroom etc.  Basically we cleared out the top hall which had been crammed with furniture over Easter while we were un-wallpapering the ceilings in the other rooms.

Fraser getting comfortable with his lap top

Justin doing some work
 We were due in Kingower at 6pm - once again another Kingower Tourism event - organised by the inimitable Terry.  It was in the old Church again, and had an American theme.  Hot buttered popcorn in paper cornets on arrival, followed by buffalo wings and ribs in spicy sauce, an American cut salad, chili con carne with additional chillis if you wanted them, and rounding the meal off were pecan and pumpkin pies

It was a smaller group this time, 4 tables of 24, but room to move around and chat which was nice.

Sat at a table with Maile & Dave, and also Phillip & Anne ( Jill's friends).  We'd met Phillip and Anne in the past, but hadn't really talked with them before.  They have a property on the way to Melville Caves with Pistachio nuts, olive trees, sheep etc.  Phillip had been a jackeroo in his younger days, and Ann knew Justin's uncle Miles & Aunt Mary - maybe through Jill who also knows them, but maybe independently - don't know.  So we had a lovely evening chatting with them, and also met a couple of Melbourne friends of Damien and Nicole.  They both coincidentally work in Glen Iris - very close to our place. And they also commented on  Justin's t-shirt - recognising it as a Threadless design.  Justin was quite pleased by that!

having a chat

me & Phillip enjoying the rib s#1

me & Phillip enjoying the ribs #2

Maile, Dave, Anne Justin
The accompanying movie was Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid - a "classic" - although a bit dated in parts

Anyway, home before 12, and back to Melbourne early Sunday morning as we had a lunch to go to.  That didn't stop me making my boys a nice ham and egg breakfast.  I used the electric frying pan which Alex & Prue had given us for Christmas 18 months ago.  I noticed when I cracked the eggs into it, that they slid to one side, but I thought it was because the pan was on a slightly uneven surface.  Not so, when Justin washed the pan he noticed that it had warped and that there was a large depression around the element - so the surface of the pan is no longer flat, but has a large hole/depression in it.  Not too good for fried eggs.  I contacted Sunbeam earlier this week, but they didn't give me any joy, saying it was out of warranty etc, I will pursue this however, as who cares if it's out of warranty, this shouldn't happen, it's not of merchantable quality... Anyway to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment