Thursday 7 August 2014

Christmas in July In August :- 2 & 3rd August 2014

This weekend did not start off terribly well. I had what I thought was a slow leak in one of the passat's tyres, but it was a full blooded flat tyre!.  Justin took it off, and put on the spare, and I found a nail sticking into it. All the while I was just itching to get up to Inglewood early in the morning

Well, obviously that didn't happen, we had to be sensible and get a new tyre which obviously took time.  Perhaps surprisingly the place that we took it to actually repaired the tyre (Justin had thought it was a "gonna") for a reasonable $40, as opposed to the 100s of dollars it would have cost for a new one.

So we ended up getting to Inglewood around 12.30 - just in time for lunch.  It was too late to go and say hello to the Op Shop ladies, but Justin did get a haircut from Michelle and I got some eggs from David. Denise and Steven weren't at the Emporium when we dropped in,.  Denise dropped around to the house later to say hello

I had bought a bench top oven at Camberwell Market the week before, and was keen to try it out.  We we too late to get some pies from the butcher (don't know if he actually had any today), so I got some from the supermarket.

The oven worked well, and we had some lovely (not as good as the butcher) crispy-pastried pies for lunch with of course loads of tomato sauce

a not very good reflective photo of the pies in the oven
After lunch we thought we should attack the garden.  Gordon had cut the grass, so Justin got the whipper snipper out and cut around the edges. And I weeded around the fruit  trees which were getting choked by weeds.

Whilst doing this in my customary coveralls (It was cold) Denise came and said hello, and then an elderly gentleman was wandering around the garden.  I asked if I could help him, and he said he was from the Mt Alexandra Branch of the National Trust, and he was wondering if they could have a tour in October.  I explained that the house wasn't really open to the public, and must have said something else to make him realise that I was in fact the owner.  He apologised at that point as he had thought I was some hired help in my grubby overalls, tattered straw hat and blackened fingernails. I guess something similar to Justin's paternal grandfather who used to dress down and work in the garden at Melbourne University and also be mistaken for the help when he was in fact the Dean of Architecture.

Anyway, the gentleman was charming, so I showed him around the house to see if he thought his people would be interested, And yes, he thought they would be, so he left his details with me, and we'll see if it will be able to work out.

Then back to the weeding.  Finished up around 4.30 or so, and went and sat on the veranda to enjoy the Winter sun. It had been cold and rainy when we left in Melbourne, but by the time we got to Inglewood was sunny - and if not warm, then at least pleasant enough in the sun.

sunny day in Inglewood
I was also surprised to see that one of the rose cuttings that I'd planted had a flower.  The flower almost seemed larger than the plant



I don't remember taking pink cuttings - oh well!

But out of the sun, it was certainly cold.  I noticed when I put me coveralls on, how cold they were on my bare skin.  And after the sun dipped below the horizon, it certainly felt cooler.


We were due in Kingower at 7pm for the Christmas in July in August dinner, so had to fill in the time til then. We didn't really feel like going to the pub, and Justin didn't think it safe or prudent to light the fire for such a short time, so we suffered on in silence in the cold.

Well, not actually, I got us a couple of hot water bottles to put on our laps and then a blanket on top while we read in the dining room.  We looked (and acted) like old grannies.

trying to escape the chill 


So finally left for Kingower at about 6.45, well padded up as we thought it would be cold in the Church, and could take off layers if needed.  By the way, I had 5 layers on :- t shirt, long sleeved t shirt, jacket, fleece vest, fleece jacket, scarf, gloves and hat.

On the drive there I said at least the snow flake symbol hadn't come up in the car.  I think it said 5 degrees. But about 30 seconds after I said this the symbol illuminated which made me laugh - this meant that the outside temperature was now under 5 degrees.

Glad we were well wrapped up, and we certainly cranked up the heat in the car in the 10 minute drive there.  I was hoping to be able to accumulate some heat

Arrived at the Church just after 7pm.  The usual suspects were there -David, Maile, Nicole, Damien, Jerry, Jan, Jeff, Jill, Chrissy, Dawn, Terry etc.  All up there were 18 of us.  And yes, it was still quite cold in the Church, not quite as cold, as in our place though (thank goodness)

Our Christmas table
 

The table was set in a large square and looked lovely - including some chocolate Christmas tree /rumball decorations

One of Jan's creations



The meal was terrific.

First a leek and potato soup with home mad bread rolls :-

soup


Then a generous main course of a slice of turkey, pork and beef, some duchess potatoes, and peas and carrots

main course


and lastly Terry's special plum pudding with some brandy custard

plum pudding

It was a great night, and I was very pleased to be included as an honorary member of the Kingower community.  In fact Terry told me later that he was thinking of promoting? me in the lists so that I would get all of the Kingower invites etc - but with the spoils come the responsibilities as I would also get the working bee for the church emails.  I said I wasn't sure if I'd be able to attend them as I was busy enough already. Terry quite rightly said that they were all busy.  Anyway, we'll see.

Jan hammed it up a bit with a small plastic moustache from a Christmas cracker

She looks very French


After dinner, David R pulled out a guitar and sang a few folk songs

David R playing the guitar

Terry and co even persuaded Justin to play a couple of tunes.  Justin was a little reluctant (familiar enough people, but unfamiliar audience), but he relented and played Blackbird and an Eric Clapton song.  Terry then told him that there was going to be a special musical evening in late September and to bring his guitar to that. Should be good.  Daniel the Chilean also sang quite lustily and with the great acoustics of the church sounded terrific.

So, another good night in Kingower, and back to our chilly house around midnight or so.

Once again the hot water bottles were put to good use

The night was freezing - literally. Apparently the coldest morning in Melbourne for the last 16 years, and apparently -3 degrees in Inglewood  - at least according to Bing weather on my mobile

Justin took a few frost photos

the sun hasn't hit this side of the post yet

frozen geranium leaves

Breakfast was also a chilly affair with the honey more solid than usual

solid honey for breakfast

Back to Melbourne mid morning, as we had things to do there

Justin also took a nice photo of the straw teddy bear that a farmer apparently erected in honour of his newborn son.  It was a glorious day again, but the son was behind the shot, so the bear turned out a little dark

straw teddy bear



No comments:

Post a Comment