Thursday 4 June 2015

Jill farewell dinner Saturday 23 & 24 May 2015


Just Justin and I this weekend.

Drove up relatively early, as I wanted to have my haircut (and coloured)

This is what it looked like on the Friday night pre haircut.


cradling a rather special bottle of champagne
And this is what it looked like on Sunday morning - after the haircut on Saturday.  Michelle had straightened it also.  I told her it would never look this good again until the next time I get it cut with her, as I normally just let it air dry, with the natural wave/curl to it.

weeding in the cold on Sunday morning 


Anyway, had my haircut at 11.30, and then back to the house for a late deli style lunch out in the cold sun.

yummy deli style lunch


Because I didn't want to get dirty, I didn't do any real work after lunch.  I visited various people, read the newspaper etc.  Quite relaxing.  Jamie N also dropped in my meat voucher winnings (lamb backstrap and eye fillet) all of which we've already eaten - delicious.

Justin likewise took it easy, but started to get a bit cold, once the sun shifted

having a snooze while chasing the sun


We were due at the Church at 7pm, so drove up there about 6.45.  Unlike Christmas in July (in August) last year, we weren't too cold whilst waiting for dinner at home, partly because we were reading the papers snuggled under the doona.  For Christmas in July, in August, we had to warm up with hot water bottles on our laps, under our warm blankets!

"Everyone" was there at dinner Maile and David (Maile gave me a heap more olives to cure), Arlene and David. (I volunteered my unskilled services to them for some wine making - whatever process, as I had just finished Graeme Leath's book and it all sounded like a lot of fun (hard work too))




Damien and Nicole, of course Terry, June, Chrissie & Mark, Bruce, Jan & Geoff, Dawn, etc.  There would have been around 40 of us

Although cold in the Church to start off with, I did manage to shed a few layers (I think I had at least 5 on though).

The actual dinner was very nice - lovely little appetisers, and then a hearty meat stew with buttery mashed potatoes and salad, and a couple of different desserts.  And it was all complimentary - put on by the Kingower Tourism association (Terry & Co).  He explained that it was because one of their own was leaving - Jill back to Melbourne.
Justin enjoying a light beer (his turn to drive)

before dinner started

Mark made a heartfelt speech, and Jill said a few words too, but didn't want to make a fuss.

Driving home we wondered what was on the side of the road.  A stupid wallaby just sitting there waiting to get hit.  Obviously we slowed down on approach as we weren't sure what it was.  We were more attuned to something jumping/running out onto the road in front of us, rather than something just sitting there.  Anyway, it did amble off in its own good time.

Had a nice sleep in (again) on the Sunday, so another slow start, reading in bed as that was the warmest place in the house.

Did a bit of weeding (as per the 1st photo) and Justin cleaned up the newly installed dishwasher (present from Susan & Mark - due to renovations) and the  washing machine,

we have a dishwasher now
 
 I had asked him yesterday (Saturday) if he noticed anything new in the house.  He didn't.  Said he'd been in all of the rooms, but that there was nothing new.  Finally on Sunday I had to get him into the scullery on some pretext, and that's when he noticed the dishwasher.

You see, I'd had a speedy undercover daytrip up to Inglewood with George the week before I started my new job. (I wanted it be a surprise for Justin).  We drove up in the ute, through some quite impressive hail storms in the hills, and George plumbed it in, as he is a registered plumber. Afterwards, we had a parma at the pub, then drove up to Kingower on the lookout for fresh road kill for his dog Dylan (there was none) and drove back to Melbourne.  Although Madeleine was a bit suspicious as to where I'd been, Justin wasn't.

had to take some photo for George before hand -
so he knew what type of fittings there were

had to take some photo for George before hand - 
so he knew what type of fittings there were

George manoeuvring the dishwasher into place

making adjustments

As an aside, some weeks ago, we'd had 5 people for lunch, and Justin had wished that we had at least 6 of the same set of plates.  A few days later, Karen offered me her Dad's dinner set for 8.

Then we had 10 people for dinner after the big Heritage Day, so we had nearly enough dinner plates, but then wished that we had a dishwasher, as we went through many plates glasses and bowls.

So the next week we had a dishwasher - I wonder what Justin will want next?



No comments:

Post a Comment