Tuesday 1 December 2015

More Watering 21 & 22 November 2015

Back again so soon, this time a solo visit.

It had been rather hot during the week, so I came up to basically water the plants...

Also checked on the oiled floors upstairs, weren't as shiny as when wet, and the hallway still had a few sticky bits, you can see the differences in the surface in the below photo.


still a bit sticky

I also did some general tidying up around the garden, ie some trimming and yes of course some weeding.

Found a huge bindi eye creeping under the fence to our place.  Went  out into the lane and dug it up

you can see how big the bindi weed is

Admired the olives maturing on our trees

maturing olives

Saw that Mark had neatly stacked the bricks away a couple of weeks ago, and had also put the good bits of wood under the shed

bricks out of the way

And it was a nice sunny day too. I had spoken to  Mum in Melbourne who said that it was cold and grey, like a Winter's Day, not so here

nice day

Given that my mobile had been playing up the other day and not taking photos properly, I took a few of the works at the Town Hall

Town Hall works #1

Town Hall works #2

Town Hall works #3

Town Hall works #4

Town Hall works #5


Nicole dropped in to apologise for not responding to my invitation for drinks last week (She didn't have any phone service, and then forgot about it)  Of course it didn't matter, but she also invited me to go and join her and a couple of girlfriends for dinner which was very nice of her.

I'd just brought up a few odds and ends for dinner, so was very pleased to receive the invitation.

By around 4pm I was sick of working, so thought that I would go and visit Samuel and Fiona at the old Railway Hotel.  We'd met them when they came to the house for the Heritage Day in May. The bike's tyres were still pumped up, so I rode over there. They've done a fabulous job inside, Had imported some William Morris wallpapers, and and got some good curtains.  They gave me the
name of the shop in the UK that sells the wallpaper.  And they said that even with the exchange rate and the postage, it was less expensive to get the wallpaper from England than locally.

After this I went and had a look around the newly renovated railway station buildings.  They look very smart.

the railway buildings
 And then home for a long gin and tonic - unfortunately not on the veranda, as I can't get up there due to the sticky floor, so sat on the front step and read the paper on the tablet.

After a while retired to my room and continued to read there, but started feeling a bit sleepy so had a quick 20 minute nap (was up early today) and then off to Nicole's

She was there with a friends from her course - Carolyn, and another one called Lisa joined us just as we were serving up the dinner.

our dinner table outside

We had been sitting inside in the kitchen having some nibbles and drinks previously, as they weren't sure if she was going to come.  But then had dinner outside.  Back inside into the school room once it got dark

As anticipated, a good night was had by all, and I left around 11 or so.  Luckily no kangaroos on the way back.

Woke early and was going to go for a walk, but then I saw that my mobile was just about out of battery charge, so decided to read lazily in bed instead.

More watering of the garden, one of the pears is recovering, the other is still struggling, and the cherry is bravely putting out a few leaves, but something is eating them

poor old cherry tree

beautiful artichoke flower


Went around to Denise and had a coffee with her at 11.  Got it from Brock who is looking after the Royal for a while (Bryn still in Ballina, Paul back to Maryborough).

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but I quite like stomping around the town in my old overalls (either summer no sleeves, or winter boiler suit type), large steel capped boots (all the easier to quickly slip out of them) and battered blue straw hat.  Makes me feel a bit like a city person pretending to be a country person, but when I'm working up here, be it in the garden, or in the house, I want to have clothes that I don't mind getting dirty/dusty etc, that I can wipe my hands on, spill paint on, get muddy etc without giving two hoots.


No comments:

Post a Comment