Monday 31 October 2016

Medieval Party 22 & 23 October 2016

Well, we finally had it - Jan's medieval party up in Kingower.  She'd been talking about having it for a couple of years, and here it was.

But first, we had to try and get costumes - tried the Op Shop - but nothing really appropriate for me, although I did get a velvet jester type hat for Justin. (unfortunately he didn't really like it)

Then onto Lizzies, where I'd spied a potential dress the week before.  Still there, but a bit small. Found some other possibilities, and settled on a long black hippy, yet hopefully medieval type dress.

Trying on all these clothes took a bit of time, and by the time I'd finished, it was lunch time.

Was a bit cool, but sunny, so rugged up and had some hot pies outside.

post lunch

I also picked that orange that I'd been eying off for a while.  new flowers were already on the tree, so I figured it was time to pick it.  Quite a thick skin, but nice and sweet.  I look forward to more this season.

1st orange ever!

what a beauty

nice and sweet

Justin thought it was going to rain in a few minutes (after lunch), as he'd seen the clouds towards the back of the house.  I thought that was fantasy, yes it might rain, but not in a few minutes.  Well he was right!  It poured quite nicely, and any plans that I'd had to do some more weeding were washed away.

Scampered inside, and read the electronic papers, and even had a nap (was a bit tired, as I'd had a big few days beforehand - conference at Wollongong)

And then onto the Medieval party at the Village Green in Kingower.

Terry had erected a Maypole with brightly coloured ribbons.  Bby this time it was sunny and blue again, but quite windy.

maypole

The meat was on the spit, and potatoes in their jackets

dinner

Photo:
Terry, not in costume 

Obviously other people got dressed up too.  Justin didn't want to wear the coloured hat (beneath his dignity?).  So I did - went well with my dress... It was pretty cold, so I was glad that I had a thermal top and pants on under the dress.  Once the wind dropped down, it wasn't as cold, but  j was certainly glad that he was rugged up.

Photo:
Chrissie & me 


Photo:
Jan & me

Photo:
Jeff the Viking

And there were a few new faces - which was nice.  Ernie and family of 5 boys, etc

Went round the Maypole a few times, but got a bit tangled also - as we were instructed to do different activities by colour, and then to try and undo them - didn't really work!  Had fun though

Photo:
round the maypole 


Photo:
bit tangled

Had a lovely roaring fire - and a great night as always, apart from the mozzies that is.  Yep, because of all of the recent rain, the mozzies are plentiful and hungry.

Photo:
roaring fire

Sunday, and a sleep in, and breakfast inside, as it was a bit dull outdoors.

But then some more weeding.

An antipasto lunch, and by this time the sun had come out.  Thought we'd try one of our salamis that we'd made with Terry, along with some of my artichoke stem pickle and salad from the garden.  Very self sustaining!

Photo:
me, a knife and salami  #1

Photo:
me, a knife and salami  #2
Photo:
me, a knife and salami  #3


salami closeup

Inglewood artichoke stems 

Inglewood salad

More weeding, and then when I had done what I wanted, put up the hammock and had some time off reading and relaxing for an hour or so

Photo:
I'm in the hammock there

Justin took some photos of the garden - looking quite lush and green

Photo:
olive grove - lots of flowers

Photo:
Helen's heritage apple tree

Photo:
hoop pine

No comments:

Post a Comment