Thursday 31 August 2017

Siblings, sausages and salami 25 - 27 August 2017

Justin's Dad unfortunately died on Thursday morning, so everything was a little up in the air....

However, I had organised to go to Maile's on Friday weeks ago, to another "Old Ladie's movie afternoon, and this time I was prepared - brought my bottle of only cellar cold prosecco, and got there by 1pm.  Two Annes and a Ruth this time, and no photos

Sat around and chatted first (didn't say anything about Justin's dad, didn't want to darken the mood) Maile as always had put out a lovely cheese and biscuit platter

Maile had also promised that I would love the movie, as, or because it was French.  She remembered that I hadn't liked the 1st movie I saw. (the one with Viggo Mortenson in North Africa)

Anyway, the movie was the Belier Family, about a girl who lived with her deaf father, mother and brother in the French countryside.  At school she discovered that she had a lovely singing voice, and the antics went from there.  It was a comedy drama, and had some very funny and also heart felt moments.  Maile was right, I did love it

Image result for family belier

Stayed and chatted afterwards, had a coffee and cake, and left around 5pm - kangaroo time.  Did see one scampering away in front of me on the Bread and Butter track, but not too close, so all was good.

Went back home and organised the dvds some more, as I had brought up a couple of spindles of  dvds that I'd recorded from tv - ie lots of Grand Designs, BBC dramas etc.

Had some leftovers for dinner, got my hot water bottle and watched some more Monarch of the Glen in bed

Given Justin's dad, we had decided to invite the siblings to Inglewood so that we could work out what was happening/what Penny expected.  We were originally going to Terry's for lunch, but given our additional guests, we invited Terry to our place for lunch instead.

I made some bread and some hearty chicken soup, and my famous peanut chocolate tart for dessert.

I also thought that I would put out an antipasto selection to start.  Brought up our last salami from the cellar, put out home cured olives, my chilli choko chutney, and artichoke stalk pickles, and got some cheeses, chilli mussels, pizza shapes (for Justin) and some other bits and pieces.

Set the table nicely with tablecloth, silver ware etc.  Although the cutlery was all there, Justin (and maybe some of the others) didn't realise there was more to come, and so filled up on the antipasto, not leaving any room for the soup and fresh baked bread





However, Felicity and Claudia being very good guests did join me in having some soup.

I guess by this stage it was getting onto 3pm, and the plan had been to make salami and sausages after lunch at Terry's.  He left quite quickly to organise, and Justin, Claudia and I went a little later.  Alex, Sarah and Felicity elected to stay behind and mind the fire (Nin was in Sydney).  They also went for a walk around town, as Felicity hadn't been there before.

So, onto the sausage making.  I'd already been to the butchers and picked up my ordered meat and fat!   I think about 2 kg of pork for the salami, and the same of beef for the sausages.

We started with the sausages - first mincing the beef, then the fat, then mixing them together in the right quantities - adding wine, garlic, chilli, salt, pepper and other spices



Then we commenced our positions - Terry was threading on the skins, and making sure everything was going well in the filling department, I was on my old job of pushing down the meat plunger, and trying to make sure no air was getting in to make bubbles, and initially Justin and Claudia were playing the guitars. 


 

I then wanted a hand - so Claudia was on replenishment duty transferring the meat mixture from the bowl to the elevated Kenwood plate that I was working from to push down the sausage making "tube"

I had to press down very hard, as there was a lot of resistance, and it was quite tiring.  In fact, I got Justin to do it towards the end, so took some photos.




Given that I had bought a lot more meat this time than last time, it took a lot longer.  And Terry was also putting on a a film at the Church, so we couldn't stay too long.  We decided to call it a night after 5pm.  We'd done my lot of sausages, and some of Terry's also, so thought we'd do the salamis tomorrow.  Drove back to the house, and had soup and other leftovers for a very casual dinner.

And then upstairs for some music - with Alex guest starring on drums - with of course Claudia on lead vocals.  Was of course a fun night.  Claudia did a great rendition of Me and Bobby McGee,



People got up at different times on Sunday morning, just coffee and toast for breakfast.

This time Claudia, Felecity and I went to Terry's at 10am.  Justin remained behind to work on his dad's eulogy.  And Alex and Sarah were content to eat the salamis, but didn't want to see them made.

Got to Terry's and he made us one of his fab coffees and also fried up a couple of little sausages that he had made yesterday, cut them into small pieces then gave us toothpicks to try some. Delicious!!! Very tasty, no need for tomato sauce at all

And then onto the making.  I hadn't realised, but Terry had another batch of sausages to make, and then we started on the salamis - with Felicity on tying duty





By the end we had made 13 of our salamis and maybe half as much of Terry's salamis.  It really was a sausage factory!  I'd suggested to Terry that we also have a dolmade making day (I'd served some yesterday which I'd bought, but much easier to make if you have a ready supply of vine leaves which you would in Kingower), and also tomato sauce making day.

So, left before lunchtime, and went home and strung up the salamis in the cellar.  They look great.  Also took the 2kg? of beef sausages that we'd made, and divided them into portions to freeze for later eating



It was still quite a cold day, so off to the pub for lunch - roast of the day and vegies - very nice.  The others started heading off after this.  I did a little bit in the garden and watered my new plants - which were still looking ok - as I was worried about frost damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment