Wednesday 1 November 2017

Medieval night #2 20 - 22 October 2017

Got to Inglewood early afternoon and was assailed by the smell of what seemed to be rotting lemons when I opened up the front door.

Searched around for the suspect lemons, but couldn't find them.

Also went and inspected the Victorian windows and floorboards that we had retrieved from the old Ansett House.

Forgot to take photos of these - oh well...

Anyway, Helen had purchased the windows, and  "rafts" of floorboards for her upcoming "She shed" that she plans to build in her back garden.

And of course she expects us to cart this all back for her on our ute - bit of a nuisance really, particularly as she won't even be there on the Sunday to help offload the windows, nor has she organised anyone to be there to do so.  I ended up getting Clare and Rory to assist - so all was well.

But at least one of the rafts of floorboards is too long to carry ie approx 3.4m, and the ute tray is 2.4m Justin wasn't happy!

Anyway, I had also invited Terry, Arlene, David and June for dinner - so wanted to get started on the basics for that.

Made a shopping list, and walked up to the IGA to get a few key ingredients - thought I would make a red dip, pate, and a chicken caesar salad.  Also thought I would make some sort of dessert with the plums that I had in the spare fridge (from Enzo) freezer.

Anway, it was soon after this that I discovered the source of the rotting lemon smell, except it wasn't lemons, but plums.... Yep, Helen had mistakenly turned off Enzo's fridge when she was here a few weeks ago over the school holidays.  The fridge component just had drinks, plus an experimental yogurt - which was originally 2L of fresh milk.  However the freezer part had 2 large bags of plums, which had in effect liquified, and now stunk, plus some previously frozen pies, loaves of bread, and left over lasagne.



Was quite a mess in the freezer, and we suspect some of the juice had trickled down the front grill.  Not sure if we'll ever be able to get the smell out.... Was really cross with Helen at this stage.


So, had to clean this out, and then got to cooking.

First the pate, as I had to fry up the chicken livers/onion/garlic etc - whizz it up, add the cream/port and have time for it to set in the (other) fridge.

And then onto the bacon which I planned to cook in the oven while I did other things.

Heated up the oven and found a plate with very dried pie remains and knife and fork in the oven.

Really, really cross with Helen now - was also sending her photos of the offending items via text messages (which she didn't receive for some days later as she generally has her data turned off). 


Soldiered on with the cooking/cutting - made red dip, croutons, caesar sauce, cooked and cut the chicken, cut up cucumber, tomatoes, shaved cheese, tore lettuce etc.

Set the dining room table, organised the tray to take upstairs to the veranda for drinks etc. And just finished by 6pm.  The cleaning of the fridge had slowed me down...

Anyway, was all good, Terry, June and David were in the forward brigade, and we went up stairs for drinks.  I tried to tempt them with summery G&T's or campari and lemonade, but no interest, they wanted white wine which they had brought.  That said, I wanted my first G&T of the season (so had one)!

Sat on the veranda in the early evening sun, and it was delightful - lovely and warm, not hot, but rather bright, so I doled out a few spare hats.

Arlene arrived within the 1/2 hour and had Alvin with her - so we all sat up here.





The sun dipped below tree level, and it started to get a little cold, so we went inside to the dining room.

I had originally thought that I would assemble and serve everyone's plates individually, however this would have taken a little while, so l subsequently thought that I would serve up "deconstructed" chicken caesar salads - ie all ingredients were in bowls/on platters in the tables, and we just served ourselves.  Much better idea.

Given that Justin wasn't here, I assumed head of the table - with Alvin at the other end.

The wine and the conversation flowed freely, and we had mini magnums for dessert.  David and Alvin left first around 11.30, and then called Terry to advise that police were on the Kingower Road.  They left soon afterwards, and I went to bed.

Got up around 7.30, had a quick breakfast, and also went to the IGA to see what I could find for Terry's birthday, - got a nice bunch of red tulips and a bottle of Mumm champagne.

Drove up to Terry's and surprised him by remembering his birthday, he made me a coffee, and then the others ie Arlene and June showed up, and we started our preparation for the Medieval night dinner.  Basically just chopping vegies ie carrots, onions etc for a chicken soup.

Terry also gave us a delicious lunch - homemade sausages with a green salad



Home after lunch - and started weeding out the left hand side of the front.  Lots of people walked past and had a chat - as there was a family reunion across the road at the Town Hall.  A stumpy tailed lizard also made an appearance on the footpath


Given that I didn't want it to escape onto the road and potentially get squashed, I moved it onto the garden bed



Justin arrived late afternoon, unpacked, and then took a breather

I went up to the veranda and had my 2nd G&T of the season



Had a quick shower, as I was feeling a bit grimy, and then up to the Village Green for the Medieval night.

We didn't get dressed up this time, although I did wear the coloured jester hat that I'd got for Justin last year, but that he didn't like, so didn't wear.

Had nuts and dips to start, followed by our chicken soup, beef on the spit, jacket potatoes, salad, honeyed carrots, and then trifle & apple crumble for dessert

Another good night



The Maypole had also been set up - don't think they got as tangled up as last year (maybe because I wasn't doing it).  Luckily wasn't as cold as last year either.









The crowd thinned a bit as it got later





Justin drove home, with no kangaroos accompanying us

Sunday,and we loaded the ute with Helen's bloody windows (too busy and annoyed to take photos)

And they were heavy and cumbersome, Victorian sash windows with the weights - 3 of them....

And Justin had a sore back also, not impressed

Anyway, he left soon afterwards, as he had to go to Warrnambool.

June had also advsied me yesterday that the the pests eating my rhubarb/mint could be earwigs, and had suggested that I put out a jar filled with a combination of water and oil

I was thrilled (and a little surprised) that the jars were full of dead earwigs when I checked later in the morning...hopefully the mint and rhubarb will thrive now




I put my overalls back on and did some more weeding out the front - this time the right hand side.  Finished that, and ventured into our actual garden for some more weeding.  Gordon dropped by and saw how full his trailer was, Jan also dropped by and I gave her the sponsorship money for the upcoming wood chop competition, and finally Ben dropped by to have a look around.  I'd met him a few weeks ago, and he came around to see what the condition of the house was, how he'd be able to assist etc

Thought he could start with replacing the bad floorboards in the downstairs green room and dining room, and to also fix up the cellar stairs.  Said he had a team of workers we could call on ie plumber, electrician etc.  Discussed the proposed bathroom upstairs -  fingers crossed, we might even get it before Christmas!!!!


Below is the work sheet that i left out for him


No comments:

Post a Comment