Monday 11 February 2019

More yabbies Friday 18 - Sunday 20 January 2019

Fraser and I drove up to Inglewood again on Friday after I had made numerous phone calls at home to various utilities etc regarding Mum's accounts

We had to be there before 2.15, as I was having a cut and colour at Michelle's

Got there around 2pm, so unpacked the car, had a literal quick bite and left for my cut

Finished up around 4pm, and came back to Fraser

Our neighbour George had sent me a text asking me to bring back an old type of wrench that he saw that we had - so I hunted that down for him.


And on my circuit of the garden I couldn't help but notice that the trellis over the back veranda had been ripped off - must have been extraordinarily windy

.
Fraser and I also wandered around finding bindis - there were some large ones that had escaped my not so hawk eye previously




It had obviously been very hot up here - as evidenced by my poor orange tree, and the small fruit on the lemon tree which I had been keenly watching had browned and died


Fraser and I were also surprised by a flesh coloured lump on the ground which turned out to be sap from the root of the hoop pine - was quite strange...poked it with a stick first to ascertain whether it was soft or hard / solid or squishy (in between)



Justin arrived from  Ballarat in the early evening.  We had originally thought that we would go to one of the pubs for dinner, however the Australian Open was in full swing, and "Demon" (Alex De Minaur) was up against Rafael Nadal



So, we bought takeways from Gee Gees and ate upstairs watching the match

Was pretty exciting, although it didn't take Nadal long to assert his dominance.  That said Demon put up a great fight!

It was pretty warm in the room, so we had both the window open and the fan on

I spied a photo opportunity coming up the stairs of the palm tree across the road in front of the town hall




We also had a bit of an intermission on the veranda, as there was a stunning sunset. I've probably included way too many photos (collection of mine and Justin's), but they're all different
























Justin also took some arty shots through the upstairs bathroom curtains






Anyway, as history tells us Nadal won quite convincingly, so we went to bed

Had a bit of a lazy lie in on Saturday, reading the Age on line in bed etc

I persuaded Fraser to come yabbying with me (given my great success with Xavier a few weeks ago)

We drove up to Webbs dam, as I had been reliably told that it was "full of yabbies"

It wasn't!

Although we did see a couple of wallabies drinking from it as we approached

Stayed here about 20 minutes, and then went to Terry's.  Didn't see his car there, so went straight to the dam.

As per last time with Xavier, we used both the nets and the string method

And as per last time, we had significantly more luck with the strings.  It was great fun, and I think that Fraser was enjoying himself also






Fraser even managed to pull 2 yabbies in at once....(a couple of times)

Terry surprised us by wandering over, he was there after all (his car was at the Winery)

We also perhaps surprised him by saying how we were even throwing the small yabbies back in

It had been my plan to supplement our antipasto lunch with Alex with fresh yabbies, however I didn't have the heart to plunge them alive into a pot of boiling water, so popped them in the freezer...(for another time)

Justin repaired the trellis while we were gone




Therefore we had a non yabby antipasto lunch under the tree.  Brought out one of our salamis from the cellar, home made olives, pickles etc. and store  bought cheeses, dips, biscuits, ham etc

Delicious!

Alex had arrived while Fraser and I were yabbying

In the evening we went back to Kingower, as  Terry had organised a movie night - Sweet Country.



We arrived early and had dinner there, ( a chicken salad I had prepared earlier)  Terry and June also had dinner there






The others started coming around 8pm or so

It was a perfect night, no wind, perfect temperature.  Actually it got a bit cool later on (luckily we were prepared with jackets/long pants etc)

Justin was a bit tired, and Alex captured him napping



The film was great, and I must admit that I was surprised that Fraser liked it also


Everyone was a bit cool/cold once it finished as a cool little breeze had sprung up and it was a clear night

Nobody really lingered, and Fraser drove us home with Alex as the supervising driver

Sunday, and we didn't do much...

Alex took some nice photos of the house



Alex and Justin left before lunch, I pottered in the garden, and then came in and watched Ash Barty vs Serena Williams in the 1/4 final with Fraser.  She unfortunately lost

We tidied up, and left soon afterwards with Fraser driving

No comments:

Post a Comment