Tuesday 20 August 2019

Bare rooted plants and more weeding 12 -13 August 2019

Had a quick visit, as I had bought some bare rooted fruit trees from the Inglewood hub, and they had been delivered late last week, so they had to get into the ground as a soon as possible

Arrived at Inglewood early afternoon, Gordon was there on his ride on mower battling the weeds, as they had become very wild and unruly.

In fact he couldn't get too near the trees -as he couldn't see where the brick surrounds were


Anyway, I said a quick hello, he finished up, I got changed into my trusty coveralls and got planting.  I'd bought a couple (more) cumquats (the others have all died), a mandarin, a blood orange, a guava, and a three type pear.  Kim also gave me a box of canna lilies




Had to do some significant weeding in the orchard where I was planting the guava and pear



I also decided I would remove the dead mirror tree, and put the mandarin there.  So I got back to old tricks of using the mattock and then rocking out the stump






It was hot and sweaty work despite it being quite cold

The sun came out later in the afternoon and was casting quite nice light


Finished up around 6pm, and had got cold again, as I was back to weeding.

Indulged myself with a bath picnic - cheese, biscuits wine (in a plastic cup), and warmed up nicely.  Had a little bit of dinner and watched a documentary on the Royals on SBS on regular tv.  I can't remember the last time I've watched normal free to air....its generally catch up


Then back down to my room, watched a Monarch of the Glen, and then read - nice and cosy, am loving those panel heaters

Tuesday, and a slow start, read the online Age in bed, did the sudoku etc.  Had also turned the heater on in the kitchen, so it was warmish for my breakfast.

Then out and weeding again by 9.30. Started in the orchard and weeded around most of the trees (not the 2 almonds at the back)






And filled up Gordon's trailer.


And somehow lost a pair of Mum's old scissors which I'd had in my coveralls pocket - hope I find them again

Also weeded more around the vegie garden and also out the front, and also did some trimming. I was pretty stiff by the time I finished.  And this time I was wearing gloves, but my hands still got grimy through them.

More almond blossoms also


I also thought the garden looked nice peeking through the orchard gate through to the pebble paths



No comments:

Post a Comment