Sunday 15 December 2019

Back from the Ghan 7th and 8th December 2019

Got back from our marvellous Ghan and Darwin trip on Sunday night



And, we haven't been to Inglewood for a month!

Had organised to get there by lunchtime,as we were meeting Karl from Cole Clark (Guitars) to see if he might be interested in our dead Bunya tree for making into guitars

Sadly, he wasn't, as there were too many knots etc - even down the bottom of the trunk

He was an interesting bloke to talk to though, and he stayed a while to chat, but didn't want anything to eat or drink

Had a bit of a lazy Saturday, reading on the hammock etc.

But also had to fix up the watering system AGAIN.  seems to have been turned off AGAIN!, and looks like 3 of the kiwi fruit plants have died, which I'm pretty annoyed about, and the new citrus and other new fruit trees were looking pretty dry also



That said, one of the grape vine cuttings has sprouted by the back deck, so I'm pleased about that

 
The vegie garden was pretty dry also - no more artichokes, just the flowers now.  Lot of bees around and in the flowers




Went up to Kingower around 6.30, for the 1st Saturday in the month get together

The usual suspects were there, and it was very nice to catch up.  Terry had a small bowl of cherries that he'd picked from his tree (his entire harvest) and shared them around - delicious

I then realised that I hadn't seen any cherries on my tree when I'd watered it earlier today - bloody birds!

It was a very pleasant evening, sunny, blue, warm, and still -we stayed til about 7.30, and then back to our place to have a picnic dinner, and watched Always be my Maybe -  an Asian /American rom com, which was quite amusing.

Sunday, and a slow start, and then I went to visit Terry for a coffee.  We'd discussed it last night, as we were going to also brainstorm food for the Christmas get together.  Stayed an hour or more, then dropped off a cd at Arlene's and then dropped off the Wedderburn book at Pauline's - and she invited us to their New Year's party if we were up and not doing anything.  Might just take her up on that!

I'd also called Justin in transit, and suggested that I get us a couple of pies for lunch, so finally got back to the house well after 1pm

After lunch, I thought I should do something, so, given that my poor plants were parched - and probably hungry, I busted out some chicken poo that I'd bought from David some years before hand (would have been well rotted down)

Spread it around most of the fruit trees, and then watered it in


And when I was watering the cherry I noticed a glimpse of red - was thrilled to see 2 x surviving cherries - one pecked at, the other intact - which I promptly ate


I'll have to net them next year

I also planted a geranium cutting that Terry had given - the flower was a glorious crimson colour, and I had admired and commented on it while having my coffee.  Hope it survives



And Justin also attacked the ants again (both on Saturday and Sunday) - this time using termite poison...this time it looks like its working






No comments:

Post a Comment