Tuesday 22 December 2020

Kingower Christmas Dec 18-20 2020

 Back with Justin this time - and on Friday night again.

I had toyed around with bringing some leftovers for dinner, but then we felt a bit slack, or more positively, thought we'd support the local economy and so had takeaway

I dropped Justin at GGs so I unpacked the car,  then got some plates, glasses & wine together for dinner, and waited for Justin in the rotunda

It was surprisingly quick (especially compared to last time)  I had a burger with the lot, and Justin had a schnitzel roll - and we shared some golden chips.  Was pretty good actually

And the evening itself was superb- lovely and clear blue sky, no wind, warm to begin, but got a bit cooler.  We're certainly getting our money's worth with this rotunda - sitting and eating there for breakfast, lunch and dinner (especially given that the dining room is not available)

Went in  around 8.30 -9 pm.  I thought we might watch a movie in bed on the laptop, but Justin didn't feel like anything that long, so we watched the 1st episode in the 3rd series of Restoration Australia on I-View.  A couple bought a 4 level terrace in Sydney just near to the Harbour Bridge.  It cost $4.2M and needed complete restoration/renovation, as it had been divided into public housing flats.  The couple had very extravagant tastes, and thought that the renovation should cost around $1.5M, and a further $500k for furniture.  Well, it ended up costing them close to $10M (including the purchase price!) We were horrified by the expense, and won't be spending anywhere near that amount.


And, speaking of expensive, another property that has caught my eye is the old Bluestone Mill in Kyneton.  It's for sale, with approx 13 acres of land plus another bluestone house (manager's residence)

Given that we drive past it to and from Inglewood, I was curious to see what it looked like inside (from the real estate ad on the internet), and also the price

Well, it was done up beautifully, but the asking price is $6.7M!! We were flabbergasted, and it's on the Calder (well the house is set back), so there will be a constant traffic hum. And it looks like it could do with a new roof!

I'm assuming that it will be for sale for quite a while 


Anyway, we have our hands full with our own country property, and trying to get tradespeople to do the work for us.

Saturday, and I made Justin breakfast in bed, and came back in also with a breakfast tray of my own  

So, we had a leisurely start, and then I put my overalls on, and weeded out the front right hand side of the gate.  Only took a couple of hours - was done by lunch time

I spoke with Terry, and he mentioned that he was at his place by himself (no one was there yet to help set up), so I offered my help, and went up there at 1.30

A couple of his sons were there by that stage, but I was still able to help, and we took trestle tables, chairs, crockery, cutlery, glassware etc across to the Village Green and set up

Took a few hours - normally we mostly just show up, and don't think about the set up - should offer our help a little more (I do help with the cooking though)

Came home and made my chipotle salad for the night (lettuce, tomato, coriander, avocado, kidney beans, corn, red onion, capsicum and a chilli lime etc dressing) - was rather nice

Alex and April arrived around 4.30, and Chris and Jo a little later

Jo had brought some nice cheeses and biscuits so we had them out on the rotunda before heading off to Kingower around 6.20 for the Christmas get together

Had a lovely dinner up there, and saw a lot of our friends



David and his daughter Helen performed first


The crowd was appreciative 









And then Helen's friend Diana sang and played guitar for Hallelujah, and she was great.  She also sang  a few of her own compositions which were also very good

Then it was our boy's turn - Justin, Chris and Alex - all very good




And then it was Mark, and then Dermot


And at the end it was all of them


So, a good night was had by all, good food, good company - what could be better?

We left around midnight - and saw a fox on the way back.  Haven't seen one here before

Slow start on Sunday - luckily we didn't have the RA team here this morning.  We were originally supposed to, but then Mark texted something about having G&Ts in the rotunda at 7pm....and I thought that was too late.  Also - after a big night, we probably wouldn't be in the mood to "perform" for a film crew.  Therefore, it's been postponed til later in January.  And as it was, with the Northern beaches corona virus flare up in Sydney, and flights cancelled, possible 14 day quarantines for people from NSW into VIC, we may not have been able to do it anyway!    

Anyway, a modest breakfast of coffee and toast for all in the rotunda at 9am.  Chris and Jo left before lunch, and Alex and April went looking at the collectable shops

Came back with a metal rooster as a present for my hospitality.  Very nice 

Sandwiches in the rotunda for lunch, and then April and I went to buy some more netting for the fruit trees.

Justin and Alex put them up - to protect my 2 x apple trees (and they were nice and generous with the netting, unlike me for my cherry tree)





Left for Melbourne around 4.30 - and was nearly side swiped twice.  Once by a car near the Tullamarine exit .  The driver maybe lost concentration - and came very close to colliding with me on my side of the car.

And next on the Bolte Bridge - a B double truck was in front of me in the lane to my left - but then tried changing into my lane (had the indicator on)

Luckily both times I kept my nerve - braked a bit, but didn't swerve into the next lane to get away

And when we got home Fraser had prepared a lovely schnitzel dinner with potato salad and cucumber salad to commemorate Mum's birthday 

No comments:

Post a Comment