Thursday 6 May 2021

More "unprofessional" plastering Thursday 22 - Monday 25th April 2021

I hate traffic!!!

There was still something that had to be finalised about Mum's estate - so I drove to Helen's to get her to sign some paperwork.

It's only 15km away - but it took me 58 minutes to get there according to Google Maps.

I was only inside there for 4 minutes  - and then back in the car, on the road.

And then another 2 hours and 41 minutes......to get to Inglewood.

It was excruciating!

I had left home at 3.40pm, and didn't arrive at Inglewood til 7.23 - almost 4 hours!!!!

Anyway, had some dinner and a good slosh of wine and watched some Netflix in bed.

Friday morning, and an electrician arrived to check out the house for putting in hard boxes for electric radiators

I also asked him to check the old powerpoints/light switches to make sure they weren't live, as I wanted to remove them in preparation for plastering/wallpapering etc 

I had assumed that they would be ok (ie not live) - but you never know, and better to check to make sure.

Anyway, he stayed an hour or so, and then I went down the street to buy some eggs, and I also had a coffee with Denise and Steve.

Steve also told me about an old Tivey descendant who had bequeathed Major General Edwin Tivey's saddle to the Inglewood RSL.  He said that she was still razor sharp and remembered that there was a saddle frame by the back door of our house

And yes there is 


We often wondered what is was - door stop? and we also wondered if it was for a saddle - and apparently it is.  

On consultation with Justin - we told Steve that the RSL could have the frame if they wanted it.  Steve then told me that they've already had a new one made up - anyway, we'll see. 

And then back to the house, and a quick inspection of the garden.

Was amazed that there were some jonquils in flower - so early in the season (they normally flower - Winter/early Spring)


I was also surprised to see that my self sewn tomato plant had a little green tomato on it.  I don't think it will get ripe though

 Anyway, then back inside - took the dining room light switch off






And also undid the wiring over the dining room door




And also removed the  very old bits from the previous owner's tv antenna on the window sill.  This could of course have been done years ago





And then onto the plastering - and my first introduction to fixing up the cornices.  

But first I had to get rid of decades worth of dusty cobwebs, and a load of dust in the bottom curve of the cornice.

I opened the front door to clean off the broom, and was surprised to see Maile and David standing there 

I reckon I did a pretty good job - we'll see what Justin thinks




So I did that pretty much all day, and then Saturday too.

Enjoyed a nice hot bath on both Friday and Saturday nights - to both clean and warm up - as it was certainly getting colder in the house.  Was warm enough while working though.

Sunday was Anzac Day - so I went to the ceremony - starting with the short march at 10.30

Was the 100 year anniversary of the cenotaph being there





Went back to the house when it was over, had some quick lunch - and then started sanding - very dusty business











Very much needed a shower when I finished

And finished - I very nearly did - there's still a little bit of wallpaper by the fireplace, as I couldn't get the scaffold there (furniture in the way)

And I also need to take down the smaller fancy pelmet to patch up behind it 

And there are a few cracks, small holes, and more work needed around some of the skirting boards in order to really finish up.  I think another couple of hours - but I always tend to under estimate, so probably more like another day or two.

But that said - then we could start with the painting - yay, and then the wallpaper 


No comments:

Post a Comment