Wednesday 21 December 2022

Kingower Christmas party and fireplace mantle completion

 Well, what a busy Friday....first a Melbourne neighbour's Christmas at Greg's from 7 - 9am, very nice, coffee van and sausages.  Then back home to make the olive tart, then lunch with Lana in Camberwell, then back home to load the stone table onto the ute, and off to Inglewood around 3.30pm - whew!

And yes, more traffic again....  took nearly 3 hours - very frustrating

Chris and Lesley were already there when I arrived - sitting in the rotunda

Given that it was nearly Lesley's birthday, we opened a bottle of bubbles.  I asked where they wanted to sit, and Chris said the veranda, I did warn that it could be hot - and it was.  Lesley and I were fine with hats, but Chris was squinting into the sun.  I did tell him....- oh well


Made a start on dinner after this - made a potato salad, and bought some green salad, and Chris cooked up 3 x lamb racks.  Dessert was a New York style cheese cake which I made in the thermomix in Melbourne  - was delicious. Ate in the dining room - very nice social evening 



Saturday, and a slow start. They had brought almond croissants for breakfast - so we had these on the back veranda.

Their friend Darren dropped in to give something to Chris, and also helped out carrying the mantlepiece shelf out of the shed and reinstating it on the fireplace surround - hoorah, that means that Chris could take back his saw horses, and we could navigate the shed properly again



Darren also helped move the table top and base from the ute. (but I didn't have my phone with me - when they did this, so didn't get a photo.  Also forgot to take a photo of the table.  Chris wasn't very impressed, thought we should replace the top with a stone slab, given that the edges were deteriorating (had been pressure washed - and this had caused the damage).  Justin plans to fix it with a render solution - hopefully this should work

Anyway, after this - we had a wander up to the shops, and then went to Blanche Barkly to get some wine for Chris, (but they were out of what he wanted), and then visited Anne - to check out her hip camp. Was great - particularly with the Tasting room set up as an additional space.
 
I also liked the look of the portable spa (from Bunnings) - maybe one of these rather than my bath house....


 Anyway, it was now time for lunch - so back to Inglewood and the Bakery for a pie, except the Bakery had just closed. Pity, then onto the takeaway where we bought a burger each.  Ate in the rotunda again - very nice.

They left after lunch, and I just pottered around a bit - went to the IGA for some soda water, and saw these new pictures along the IGA outer wall.  I assume a school project




Off to Kingower for the Christmas Party for 7.30 pm.  Usual suspects there apart from Arleen and David as they were in America.  I brought my olive tart, and we had that with cold chicken and ham and salads etc.  Followed by desserts - trifle, cake, and Maile's fab egg nog






After the dinner there was a bit of Christmas carolling 




I took this photo - because there was a spider web across the entrance - you can see the spider as a white sort of shadow on the bottom left


Sunday, and did some more gardening/trimming etc - and Shane the gardener came back to see me - he's available to do the paths etc again - so hopefully it will be done

The bird of paradise was out


And I found a number of dead birds around the garden - plus one on the top veranda that I didn't take a photo of 



Was pulling some weeds around the side of the house - and realised that one was actually a rocket plant that I re-planted in the vegie garden.  Hope it survives



Left for Melbourne around lunchtime, and was surprised to see a large kangaroo, followed by a joey bound across the Calder prior to Marong.  Gave the car in from of me a bit of a fright (I think)

Dropped in at the Mill in Castlemaine - and bought some more large curtain rings (Chris and Lesley had told me that they were there, (they had given me some as a present also)

With a bit of luck we'll now have enough to use the nice wooden curtain rail that Alex had purchased on our behalf over a year ago 



No comments:

Post a Comment