Saturday 25 March 2023

Bunya rolling pin 24-25 March 2023

Was a quick visit, hadn't planned to come up, but Mark who is making our powder room vanity had suggested that he could come out and measure up on the weekend - so I went up on Friday after lunch, and came back on Saturday after lunch 

As it was, Mark couldn't measure up, as not all of the plastering was completed there -I had previously asked Cam if he though it was ready to be measured up, and he thought so - but Mark didn't - so that was that - a somewhat wasted trip

This is what we are thinking of though - powder coated in black - with the "N" for Nimmitabel


There was also a curious letter in the letterbox - basically saying that they like the house, that they are not a real estate agent, but a cash buyer etc.  I told Justin and he assumed it was a form letter - as it appeared to be printed not hand written - and nothing specific was mentioned about the house.  I might call up and see what they say - just out of interest.  They might then ask which house/town I was talking about - anyway we'll see 


Afterwards I called up Terry to see if he wanted to do something on Saturday - suggested going out on the Loddon in his tinny, or else making a rolling pin out of one of the bunya pine pieces (I had suggested it previously as an activity, and he'd said yes in principle)

Anyway, that's what we did - the rolling pin

Saturday morning (after wordle/quordle/sudoku, the Saturday Age) - I went and selected 2 x bits of wood

One which had been hollowed out by the termites, but was taller, and the other which was shorter but more solid.  Both were still quite heavy, so I used a wheelbarrow to take them to the car


Then onto Terry's place

He thought the longer piece was better.  So first he had to chainsaw out a couple of chunks (and yes I was wearing earmuffs and safety goggles also)




Next was to try make the chunk square - using a variety of machines and also a bit of hand sawing 








The purpose of getting it square was to be able to centre it on the lathe - below


 

so that it would turn evenly - and we'd get a round, not wonky rolling pin

Once it was square - Terry attached it to the lathe


And then started turning - using a chisel to get the bits off - he obviously made it look very easy - which it wasn't 




I had a few goes - no photos - as Terry had to closely supervise me to ensure that I didn't maim myself...I wasn't very confident - didn't want to put my hand too close to the guard - and as such couldn't control the chisel that well.  Terry fixed up my mistakes.

Terry then started on making short handles.  I had a go at this also - was better at that (shorter length to move along) 



And voila - a rolling pin - from a tree from our Inglewood garden and which I will christen in our new kitchen once it is finished
 

Terry then also sanded it smooth on the lathe - brilliant - as it would have taken ages by hand 
As it was though - it took about 2 hours - including setting up time etc.  Should be quicker for the next one  - I thought we could maybe make one for Madeleine and Fraser, or maybe some spoons  
 

Given that we finished around lunch time - I suggested that we go into Inglewood for some lunch - either at the Bakery or Cafe.

Ended up at the cafe and had a stuffed baked potato - was ok

Then back to Terry's where he invited me to pick some tomatoes - he had heaps - delicious - I love home grown produce


And then back to the house 

Compared my rolling pin to an original piece of wood


And was pretty pleased with it - will just need to fill in some of the natural holes with black epoxy, and then oil it - maybe with some of my Nimmitabel olive oil...





 

No comments:

Post a Comment