Thursday 4 April 2024

Easter Saturday 30/3 - Tuesday 2/4 2024

Busy, Busy, Busy - got back home from Tassie on Good Friday around 11pm - the Spirit of Tasmania was delayed


And we were further delayed due to being parked at the very bottom of the boat (9th last car out of the ferry!) 


So off to Inglewood on Saturday morning - as I had a hair appointment at 11.30am

Had a late lunch on the back veranda - and just as I was tucking in - Justin called, saying that Daniel and Kim were at the front door (we didn't hear them knocking) - just passing thought they'd drop in.  So I grudgingly left my lunch (it was after 2pm)  - and showed them around.  Unfortunately they couldn't really remember what it was like before - thought that the wallpaper in the dining room was original... They stayed maybe 1/2 hour, and I enthusiastically returned to my lunch 

Also admired our newly polished floors - the stairs, bottom hall/scullery and music room - all looked great (much better than the tung oil that we had put down originally)







However there was still dust everywhere - a thin film of plaster dust, and of course a thin film of wood dust.  So I attempted to clean this up

We also played footy on the grass next to the Town Hall - Both Xavier and Michaela were very good, Helen and I decidedly less so. Helen took a lovely photo of the house


 The weather was beautiful - warm and sunny - so we had "dinner" out in the rotunda.  The reason dinner was in inverted commas - was that Helen had made some mighty fine schwetchken knodel (Austrian plum dumplings) - which we had for dinner - it would normally be a dessert


After this we went upstairs and started watching Population 11 on Stan

Sunday, and a slow start -  and then a quick hide of some Easter eggs

Xavier was up first, and tried to find them with limited success.  Then Helen  - and breakfast in the rotunda - while Xavier raced around trying to find the chocolate.  Given that he loved the thrill of the hunt, we hid some again that he had already found, which added to the fun/frustration.  Michaela got up a bit later, and eventually all of the eggs were found (not that there were that many this year)

Normal faces


Funny faces



Went for a walk in town after all of this frivolity- checked out the new Bakery - previously Cousin Jacks, and I was very surprised to see Charlie working there, and even more surprised to see Vic alongside him.  We'd gone in to see if they made bread - (not yet), but they had some nice looking home made croissants.

While out and about Terry called - and then dropped over so that we could discuss food plans for the upcoming Music Night on 13 April.

And then Shawn and Sarah also dropped in (I knew they were coming, as Shawn wanted to take some more photos of the mural etc)  

Shawn very kindly gave me a box of gin and tonic glasses (I had got a little stroppy when I discovered one of a pair of my G&T glasses had been used for painting - was absolutely covered in paint - which I managed to wash/scrape off - but it was also a bit cracked at the handle)


Anyway, he didn't have to replace it - especially with 6 new ones - but it was most appreciated


I also admitted to Sarah (and then Shawn) that I didn't like the painting that he had done of me (not Madeleine either) - so he'll make some adjustments - yay

After they left, I got Xavier and Michaela to help me set up the scaffolding on the 1st landing - as the walls/ceiling hadn't been painted there yet.  Firstly had to put down a drop cloth on our freshly done up floor


And then I started fixing up some cracks up there - there were actually more that I thought...

Xavier snapped a whole lot of photos of me - I've only chosen a few








Xavier also helped a little bit (thought he might enjoy it)





We had takeaway for dinner - Xavier and I shared an Inglewood HSP, Helen had vegetarian loaded wedges, and Michaela had a pizza - all pretty good

And watched some more Population 11

Monday, and it was of course Rheola Show Day.  Rain was forecast. so we went prepared ie rain jackets/umbrellas etc

Picked up Terry on the way - and got there after 10am 

Saw the sheep dogs, old cars, equestrian events, mystery steam engines and  then the vintage tractor pull


   




We've finally sort of learned the rules for the tractor pull - the water tank needs to roll along the truck bed, and the tractor either stops at "Full Pull" - marked on the horizontal upper beam, or else just goes as far as it can - until either the engine gives up, or its wheels are spinning.  Xavier loved it 

And of course the wood chop



There was a little bit of rain, but not too bad.  Helen bought a sponge cake to share and pies/pasties for lunch.

Left around 1pm or so, dropped Terry off, and into my work clothes

Sanded down what I had patched yesterday


Then had to sweep away the dust, and finally could start cutting in with the paint

However it was quite dark/overcast now - even with the lights on - made it hard to tell where I had or hadn't painted

Around 3pm - it got really dark - and there was almost a mini cyclone - the winds and rain were shockingly violent, and the power went out  - so that was the end of that - washed out the paint brush, and went to the shop to buy supplies for dinner - however they wouldn't let us into the supermarket - because the power was out ....

So went back home and played Trouble with the kids and Helen

Power came back on around 5pm - off to the shops quickly for supplies, and asked Michaela to set the table.  Had planned to make an olive tart for the H&M, but they said they could just have their leftovers (mushroom pasta for H, and pizza for M) - that was good, as I wouldn't have had the time to do this now....

Terry arrived for dinner around 7pm 

Had red dip, and various cheeses, grapes & biscuits for nibbles.  Introduced Terry to Campari - he had it neat, and didn't like it at all - too bitter, I had it with lemonade - my favourite way   

Main for T, X & I was spicy chicken drumsticks, with  green and potato salads, and then a schwetchken knodel each - very nice

Tuesday, and Helen and the kids left early, I considered doing more painting, but then decided against it - will do it all with Fraser next week 

Went across to the Town Hall to see if there were any leaks from yesterday (there were) - and saw Greg there - he had a small exhibition in the hub, and I admired his painting of Van Gogh


Also saw Tenar - who told me that there had been a small brown snake in the building the other day...

Back home and more tidying up/cleaning.  Put the eucalyptus bowl that we'd bought at Salamanca market in pride of place on the kitchen bench

And also took a couple of photos of where I'd painted yesterday - was better able to see it in this light




 









No comments:

Post a Comment