Thursday 10 March 2011

Our 1st night

Well, we had quite quickly amassed quite a lot of stuff to take up to Nimmatabel, certainly more than a few car bootfulls,

During our recent mad Ebay surge we (Justin) realised that we should hire a small truck to transport all this booty up north.  I thought we could manage with borrowing a trailer and come to think of it a car with a tow bar too - which is why Justin thought the small truck route the better option.

So he organised one for the weekend of 12 February which was to be our first visit since settlement the week before.

It was actually quite exciting, however Madeleine was making a bit of a fuss because one of her school friends was having a party on that Saturday night, luckily it was postponed - so she grudgingly agreed to come.

I borrowed an esky from Helen as I wanted to take a special bottle of champagne to christen our 1st night, and I also thought a hearty bacon and egg breakfast for our 1st morning there.  I wanted to make our 1st time there memorable.





 So, on the Saturday, the plan was that Justin would pick up the Ebay furniture plus 2 additional donated pieces.  An Edwardian wardrobe from Alex, and a sofa bed from Nin & Clare.  I made Justin a pick up run sheet which he unfortunately forgot in his car when he went to pick up the truck.  He called me at cricket, so I advised as best I could.

Luckily his brother Alex was a great help.  He had wanted to come up and have a look and so had organised some accommodation for himself and his daughter April for the weekend.

So... Justin and Mad went to pick up the truck in Ascotvale, then back to Glen Iris where he met up with Alex and April who helped load up Fraser's bed (that I had picked up the weekend before in my car), the washing machine, and the sitting chair.  Then to Armadale for the wardrobe, Nin's for the sofabed, back to Alex's for my old bike plus one donated by Alex, to Northcote for the organ, to Craigieburn for the table and chairs, and lastly to Whittlesea for the oven. Actually when I write it like this it does seem quite a lot. Certainly at the time I thought it quite straightforward and that Justin would get to Nimmitabel around lunch time (he was supposed to be at Craigieburn around 11 or so)

Meanwhile, I was at cricket with Fraser again, once again at Knox where we'd been when Justin had bought at auction.  Cricket finished around 11.30 and Fraser and I rushed back home, Fraser changed out of his whites, I grabbed the esky and a couple of other things and off we set around 12.30

Tried ringing up Justin a few times, but couldn't get through, finally did however, and he was well behind us and anticipated that he'd get to Inglewood around 5pm or so

Fraser and I arrived around 3pm (was a traffic hold up along the way).  Had called at the Marong turnoff and left a message for Jamie to meet us with the key at the house.  Unfortunately no one was at the house apart from the rather energetic bull ants which we disturbed going in the front gate.  So wandered around a bit in the garden.  Luckily Gordon (the retired farmer that Becky had recommended)  had cut the grass.


Also walked up the IGA to get a cold drink, by this time the day had become quite warm.  Unfortunately my mobile phone doesn't work here at all, so couldn't call anyone...Did say hello to a man who was walking past, transpires that he's one of our neighbours at the back - David - has chickens, goats etc, luckily no roosters.

Decided to go across to Becky's and luckily Elise came out to investigate why the dogs were barking - I was asking about her Mum who she said was asleep, and then I was asking her something else, without realising that she was holding out the key for me - Becky had collected it from the Nevins.  This made Fraser laugh a bit.  So, we had the key, so back to our place and unloading the car.

During the unloading it all started happening, Becky showed up with Elise, Gordon came to introduce himself, and Tania a local who wanted to have some wedding photos in our house arrived with a carload of

people.  This was too much and I suggested that she come back tomorrow when Justin was there and we could have a bit of a chat.  Gordon didn't stay too long, showed me the outline of a pond that he had found in the garden, and also made some suggestions as to the viability of other plants etc.  The cellar was still unfortunately flooded, and stank!


I had spoken to Gordon during the week and asked if he could empty it prior to the weekend - but  he wasn't able to - more's the pity.  Becky helped in the kitchen, and we went up to the IGA to buy some cleaning goods and a broom, bucket mop etc - it really was very filthy



Justin, Alex, Mad and April showed up after 5pm   - exhausted, and we had to unload the truck.  I was pleased with the kitchen furniture, looks quite good in the kitchen.  Took a photo of Justin playing the organ in the truck.



Decided to meet up at the pub for dinner at 7pm.  I walked into I guess the public bar area with the kids, and although everyone  didn't exactly stop talking and look at us, we were certainly noticed.  J, A & B came in afterwards.  Had a very pleasant dinner.  Was funny, because while I was ordering drinks at the bar I saw someone who I thought was Gordon  -but wasn't entirely sure because earlier he had a baseball cap on, and now he was bareheaded.  And yes it was him, he nodded and said hello.  And then a little later I saw Tania and her family/friends and said hello and once again suggested that she come over tomorrow on the Sunday.  So, we've been there 5 minutes and I've already known 2 lots of people in the pub - amazing!    
 
Walked back home, and must admit was a bit nervous, not of ghosts, but rather of a spoiled bladder used to the comfort of an en-suite.  Whilst there we had discovered that the so-called composting toilet was probably actually a chemical toilet but that was immaterial, it wasn't connected to anything and was therefore totally inoperational!   


And I had drunk a lot of water, and a bit of wine also!  Luckily we have the public toilets across the road at the town hall - but I didn't really want to go there in the middle of the night.  Luckily I didn't have to....

J & I slept our first night on the sofa bed in our sleeping bags in the dining room.  I must admit I didn't sleep that well, the sleeping bag was a bit constricting.

The kids slept on the mattress in one of the front rooms (hadn't put the bed together yet)

Woke up early on Sunday and we made a rather good bacon, eggs and fried toast on Clancy's camp stove - was great. And washed it down with the Moet that I'd brought - still nice and cold luckily. Felt decadent and special. Have put a candle in the Moet bottle as a keepsake.



During the day we had plenty of visitors, 2 plumbers, 2 electricians Gordon, Becky & Elise, and Alex & April.  I'd organised the plumbers and electricians to give us quotes - as we obviously need a working toilet - and we found out that the hot water doesn't work either. So no hot showers, and the bathroom vanity basin is absolutely blocked, and there doesn't seem to be any town water, just tank water, and there are only 3 rooms downstairs with working light bulbs - luckily the kitchen, the hallway, and one of the front rooms.  The non-useful bathrrom doesn't even have a light!  Upstairs it's not much better - I think there are 2 electric lights - one in the hallway and the other in the large room (going to be our bedroom), it's not as though there are not any globes in empty sockets it's that upstairs was NEVER EVER actually fitted out with any electricity apart from the rooms that I have mentioned - so gas light or candles...truly original..

So, Justin and Alex put the bed together, I pottered in the garden pulling out intimidating weeds and also


unpacked the kitchen stuff, the kids wandered off with Elsie who gave them a tour of the town, took them to see the donkeys etc and came back with a surprise present for me - a beautifully wrapped  box of locusts.  I had been complaining? that I hadn't seen any... well, now I had.  Justin also attacked the garden with shears. Becky disappeared for a while, she gone home and washed our kitchen curtains!

 Had a simple lunch of cheese and bread and biscuits with tinned chicken/tuna. Not bad.  Home to Melbourne after our late lunch.

Introduced myself and Fraser to the neighbours to our right - Grant and Francine who seem very nice.  Grant put out our bin for us - as it was already quite full with the previous owner's stuff, and then some of our stuff/garden clippings etc on top. 

So all up a "long" regular weekend, felt like we did a lot (more so than if we'd just stayed home)  I think we all enjoyed ourselves and we look forward to our next visits.

No comments:

Post a Comment