Wednesday 23 October 2019

The Chill has gone Oct 11- 13 2019

Well, first up on Friday I went to the very last ever Jon Faine radio broadcast (after 23 years) at the Melbourne Town Hall with Anne from CWA

There was a queue around the block for those with tickets - but it moved pretty quickly, especially once they came and stamped our hands as proof for entrance

First up there were all of the living Victoria premiers (plus one aspirant) - minus Denis Napthine who couldn't make it and minus Jeff Kennett who had something else to do

The ones who were there were John Cain, John Brumby, Steve Bracks, Daniel Andrews, Michael O'Brien (aspirant) and  Ted Ballieu


It was all very entertaining - and Anne and I had a quick lunch afterwards at Southbank

Then the train home, pulled out some plants which were in the wrong spot, and off to Inglewood to plant them



Also brought some firewood (from a jacaranda that George had cut down)



Found a couple of dead fledgelings - the first absolutely covered by ants on the front path



The apple tree and cherry tree were in glorious blossom - here's hoping for some fruit



 And the almonds out the front were the best that I've seen them - green and glossy - but no nuts that I could see

However the plum tree that Justin had moved from the vegie garden looked dessicated - with very dry leaves.  I gave it a good water, and then some more over the weekend, so we'll see if it survives.  Saw Francine out the front at one stage, and she said she'd also given it a good bucket of water


On a positive note, my poppies are just about to bloom



And, on a negative, it's starting to look dry, the grass/weeds which had been bright green two weeks ago, are starting to yellow and brown


Once again, this wasn't a social weekend, I just wanted to clear out the weeds from the garden, so weeded, and then rewarded myself with a gin and tonic on the veranda, plus my guilty pleasure of some cheese balls that Fraser had given me





Saturday and Sunday were much the same, more weeding - thought I'd do some out the back

Below is a before photo



And here are some after photos





I also went looking for some asparagus and found a few spears (not many) and had them with dinner on Saturday


Some poppies emerged on  Sunday




And it also looks like at least one of the grape vine cuttings might be about to bud -as there was a touch of green bed burst


Lastly, I forgot to say that Justin had completed the jigsaw puzzle (last time)




No comments:

Post a Comment