Wednesday 30 March 2022

More of the same 18 & 19 March 2022

Came up to put away all those pots and pans etc that I'd left on the kitchen table (after I'd left distraught last time, on hearing that we'd need more underpinning, and had to put a stop on the kitchen/bathroom)


And brought up the other light fitting that I'd bought for the garden room (might be a bit tall for there though, so would take out a length of brass)


And also checked out more of what Vic had done - he'd changed the configuration of the scaffolding and done a lot more work on the arches etc













The plan was also to try and work out the colour for the stairway arches and trim.  And also for the ceiling and walls.  Justin had thought vivid white for the walls, but Vic thought that was too stark, and you would see imperfections, so suggested Builders White (which is Vivid white with a splash of Black).  And then the arches - Justin had wanted to match them to the yellow of the front hall, and then have a darker trim for the wood bit

I went to the IGA and got all of the yellow paint cards - but not one matched our yellow - either too light or too dark


Terry also dropped by and suggested that we just extend the gold trim from the corbels - and use that as the accent colour on the various arch's wooden trim - with the rest white - and I agreed with him.  Justin didn't like that though, wanted to remain in keeping with the original light/dark colour scheme (although not the original grey).  so we're at a bit of a stalemate colourwise

     

Fraser and Rileigh were going to come up on the following Wednesday - to come and paint the ceiling/tricky bits from the scaffolding, however Vic almost fell off it on the Monday or Tuesday, so didn't want anyone else on it - and took it down.  So they didn't go up to paint.(pity)

Vic had also asked us a while back if we wanted him to fix up the ceiling in the front hallway - as there  some cracks below the wallpaper.  We said we'd think about it .....as we'd asked Ron the wallpaperer to fix it up  


However Vic had taken it upon himself to remove the wallpaper of his own volition


I wasn't really pleased, but its done now....will probably try and replace it with something similar if we can find it 

And because Vic did the ceiling here - even more of the furniture is out of place....








That said, he did also stop by to give me a dozen bottles of home made passata which was very sweet.  I was on a Zoom call for a CWA Fraser Group conference on the Saturday morning from 10am - 1.30pm or so - and he came during that.   I had to excuse myself



After the conference I tidied up a bit ie put those pots and pans away

Watched  the Intouchables after dinner - was lovely



Sunday - and I had breakfast in the dining room, and spied a glistening cobweb outside stretching from a lower tree branch to the ground

Tried to take a photo of it (actually took a few, but these are the best ones, as my mobile phone camera kept trying to focus on the background)






And I'm afraid to say that those bloody grape caterpillars have decimated my grape vines - two weeks ago I squashed a whole lot, but obviously not enough.  Will need to transplant the grape vines if/when the additional underpinning happens 





Also discovered a couple of self seeded tomatoes under the big tree - too late in the season to actually get any tomatoes though (bit camouflaged by the weeds)



And the wooden table that Jan and Peter had given us had collapsed.  Gordon said that he'd nudged it with his mower - who knows it might be able to be fixed.  Or else its a goner

 


Sunday lunch - and I felt like a pie, so wandered up to the bakery.  Got to talking to one of the Crafty ladies, who ended up shouting me my pie, as for whatever reason, the online banking wasn't working - and I only had my phone to pay with no cash or actual card
It was very nice of her







4 comments:

  1. Hi
    I visited Nimmitabel last weekend with the Women on Farms Gathering. What a project you have undertaken. I hope it goes very well. I too live in an d place not quite so old as yours. Ours was but in 1907 and is developing dreadful quite wide cracks and we can't shut the living room door any more. The house has moved. Probably because the foundations have moved. Can you share who you got to underpin Nimmitabel? I am looking for someone to do the same here in Newstead. Best wishes. Genevieve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Genevieve, we used CountryWide Building Services - Peter B. Good luck with your place in Newstead. Cheers Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pie got me. I lived in New Zealand for some time, and pies here a thing for me.

    ReplyDelete