Sunday 2 July 2023

Template dash Friday 23 June 2023

Well, a very quick visit up and back in the day

I had originally thought I might go up on Thursday night, and then come back Friday late morning, but no such luck - as I had a long standing invitation to talk to the Bentleigh Probus Club re CWA at 10.30am on Friday morning - which I had momentarily forgotten about 

And the reason for this mad rush was that I had been told that the plumber and electrician were going up next week to fit off the ensuite and the powder room 

I then asked about the powder room vanity - which Mark from up the road had finished at least 6 weeks ago 

They said yes it should be there - so I organised this

I then asked about the stone top - which Cam was going to organise.....(but he's currently overseas)

I said I could do it - so was  given the name of a stone mason company in Mitcham

I rang them, and then went to see them with the measurements that Mark had given me - this wasn't enough - they had to have a template - which meant I had to go to Inglewood ASAP to make this template...as they needed a few days to cut the stone (and here I was thinking that I would just go and pick it up that day - ie Thursday afternoon)

What is so frustrating is that all of this could have been organised weeks ago - ie before we went to Ningaloo....  

Anyway, as I said, I couldn't go on Thursday night, so contacted Probus and asked if I could be first on the agenda - yes I could - but they didn't start at 10.30, so by the time I left there it was 11.20am....

Drove straight to Inglewood  - got there just before 2pm

Had organised with Terry to help me do the template (the stone guys had given me a large thick piece of cardboard to make the template) - or more honestly to do the template - as I didn't want to stuff it up - measure twice/cut once and all that. And it wasn't a simple rectangle, and the wall was a bit crooked....so not easy

Anyway, Terry came just after 2pm, and luckily brought tools ie an old roofing ruler (right angled) and tape measure etc.  That said I also had to go in the shed and get some more - ie plane and screw driver






There wasn't enough light  - so we rigged up the builders light




The cord wasn't long enough so unplugged the fridge in order to move the powerboard closer, and plug in the light/  Put my car keys next to the fridge plug to remind me to re-plug in the fridge...wouldn't want to forget that (and didn't)


 

 
Luckily Terry is very precise - and planed down the sides of the template to make sure that it fit exactly with the wall 

I had also asked if we should allow for the basin drain hole, and was told yes - so we found the basin and made allowances for that

Terry then asked about the taps and spout - ie wall hung, or on the benchtop.  I couldn't remember (it had been over a year) so had to go back over old emails - and yes they are on the benchtop

Found what we had allocated to the powder room, and then found the actual taps - so we could make allowances for those holes also....



All up, took nearly 2 hours to do all this - as there was quite a bit of mucking around 

And here I was thinking it would only take about 20 minutes, 1 hour tops....

There was also more water in the cellar again...arggh!




So, back into the car with the template, and back to Melbourne at 10 to 4  - was racing against the clock also - as I'd organised a 6.30pm birthday dinner for Madeleine and the rest of the family at Taxi Kitchen in the city - and I wasn't sure if I'd get there in time

Justin was able to change the booking to 7pm, and as it was I got home just after 6pm, so could have made it to Taxi by 6.30 (on the train) - but I'd had such a hectic day - that it was good to just sit for a little while

A footnote is that the plumber cancelled, so the ensuite and powder room were not done - they have now said they are coming the following week - but really who knows - he's cancelled twice already - very disappointing, and a total waste of my time to rush up on the Friday - and a waste for the stone masons to hurry through the job as a favour.... 






No comments:

Post a Comment