Wednesday 18 October 2023

Royal Variety & Music Night 6-10 October 2023

Was a bit complicated getting there this weekend 

I was initially going to catch the train, and then I was going to drive because Justin could have got a lift up with Alex. ( I didn't want to take 2 cars there)

Then Alex was going to leave Melbourne around 2pm on Saturday because April wanted to come (otherwise he would have come on the Friday)

So, then Justin and I were going to drive up together on Friday night and maybe stop in Kyneton for a nice dinner - which meant that I would have had to give my apologies to Damo & Nicole for the Royal Variety performance 

But then Alex and Justin decided to do some more music practice on Friday after work, so it was back to me catching the train again

Then there was plan to get me to and from Wedderburn, as Damo and Nicole were staying the night there, so Mal & Mel were organised to give me a lift back to Inglewood

What a saga.....

Anyway, yes I caught the 1.06pm VLine train to Bendigo, with a bought sandwich for lunch. Once at Bendigo, Nicole gave me excellent directions to their place - 5 minutes walk away, and she then gave me a lift to Inglewood

Once there, I looked around the garden

Quite a few of the tulips I'd planted had come up, but as per the daffodils, something was eating them


Also looks as though the jacaranda that George gave me years ago might have died (hope not, as I wanted to plant it somewhere sheltered to replace the one we had to cut down) -as it was under the veranda - and it had been hot, so was very dry 


 And checked out Justin's job with the cast iron hearth - looks very good


Then off down the street to buy some eggs from David, say hello to Denise and Steve, and to buy some nibbles for tonight in Wedderburn, and also to check what time Mal was finishing up there - Damo had said 6pm, so I asked if he could just drop in on his way back to Kingower to pick me up.  They weren't planning on driving through Inglewood to Wedderburn, they were going a back way from Kingower

Anyway, Mal actually finished work at the IGA at 5pm.  I was on the phone when I heard a quiet knock, and it was him.  We decided it made more sense if they just picked up up on the way, rather than me going into Kingower with them

And that's what they did - at 6.30pm - I was waiting out the front on the Town Hall side 

Damo was driving, with Nicole in the front, and me, Mal, and his son Nate in the back

We dropped Mal and Nate at the Wedderburn IGA where Mel was working, and Damo, Nicole and I went to their friend's place -  very nice. Had my bubbles there 

And then the 5 of us (the friends had a young daughter) went to the Mechanics institute for the "Royal Performance"  - and met Mal, Mel and their sons there



There were a couple of good skits - River Dance, and Menopause Rhapsody, and some of the cast had good voices when singing, but overall it wasn't really my thing  - I wasn't disappointed when Mel and Mal wanted to leave soon after it ended - their boys were pretty bored...

Anyway, it was good that I went, but I probably wouldn't go to the next one.

Justin was there when I got home - had driven straight to Inglewood after practising with Alex. 

Saturday, and Justin gave me a lift to Terry's at 9am to start the cooking for the Music night

I was on chopping duty at first - onion and garlic - and was told a good tip - you can get the onion smell off your hands by rubbing them on a stainless steel sink - I did so and it worked

Arlene, June & Chrissie were all there too

Chrissie and June were de-boning the lamb for the shepherds pie in the below photo


Our menu was as follows

Nibbles 

    mandolined apple slices with blue cheese/sour cream/chives and candied walnut - yum

    herbed cream cheese stuffed celery pieces

    smoked tout on crackers/baked french stick

    mini sausage rolls 

    vegetable frittata - in muffin pans

Main

    Shepherds pie encased in pastry

    Broccoli/carrots

Dessert

    Pavlova 

    Chocolate cheesecake

Was all delicious 

Terry gave us sausage rolls for lunch - and Justin came to pick me up

Saw that something was happening across the road at the Town Hall - so went and had a look - Artists Trail - saw Tenar and Louise there

Some of Greg's art was there too - ie our house


Also had a peek in the old projector room - with a great view of the stage


 Also a great view from the balcony - over to our house - Alex took the below photo - couldn't quite manoeuvre around the palm fronds - pity



The boys had another practice in the dining room



And I sat myself in the hammock and read - very comfy

Back to Kingower for 6pm - had to wait a little while for Terry to come 



We sat at the front left hand table - with Maile and David, and then got another chair for Steve and Denise to join us - to make it 7


Chrissie, Arlene, Nicole and I served up the food - and it was very well received  

Music started at 8pm with Justin, Alex , David & Mark



Then a few solo spots - David, Mark and Dermott (didn't get a photo of Dermott this time)




    

Was another lovely night 

Got home and I went to bed, Justin and Alex stayed up for a little while 

Sunday, and Justin left early-ish - as he had work he wanted to do back in Melbourne

Alex and I stayed longer - I wanted to pull out those African Flag flowers - as they have taken over the front garden bed

 


Alex was putting them in the wheelbarrow for me  and then in Gordon's trailer


I cleared out most of them

We we had a late lunch in the rotunda - and admired the magpies who were very friendly - lots of new young birds



No comments:

Post a Comment