Wednesday 8 February 2023

Bathroom Vanity with Terry 1-3 Feb 2023

Well, back pretty soon after last week.  Drove up on Wednesday afternoon, and saw what Cam and his crew had done

Covered up doorways etc in the hallway





Put in the plumbing for the bathroom, and put more electrics in






Took the rest of the plaster off the walls in the kitchen

 
And put the steel girders up in the ceiling



Brought power to the mid landing


Prepared the garden room - ie routed out the wall for the top and bottom tie rods, and also covered up some of the furniture



and put the rest in the upper hallway


They had also turned off the water for downstairs (I was astonished how that worked, given that there was water upstairs).  Anyway, had to fill the coffee tank from upstairs, and fill the kettle to get hot water to wash the dishes also.  No problem, like camping I guess

I'm also upstairs in the red room - and with the doors to our bedroom, the downstairs green room, and the dining room blocked off - I don't have access to some "essentials" - oh well

Anyway, went around to Terry's around 9am on Thursday - to work on the bathroom vanity - obviously wearing my  trusty overalls

Terry had already re-attached the broken leg, and had also ensured that the other ones were attached properly

He also pointed out that there was more to do to it - than I had originally realised 

My first job was to take the right hand mirror out - as it was a bit loose, and then put it back properly



Job done 

Next were a few pieces with cracks - so Terry took them off, glued them better with pva glue, and then clamped them


My next job was taking old nails/tacks out of the wood

I also measured that button in the below photo, as one was missing, and I was going to try and get a replacement.  However, didn't need to, as the original one (bit broken) was in a plastic bag with other bits and pieces 


Terry at the circular saw


This piece from the top also had a dodgy "carving" on the end.  Turns out it was just putty.  Terry will put a new piece of wood on and do the carving   


Terry then reattached the panel with the mirror



And glued another piece

Wiping the glue away





I also drove back to Inglewood to buy more screws as a lot of the handles had missing screws, and to also buy a brass 50 mm hinge for the bottom right cupboard.  The screws were acceptable, but the hinge  was not - I'd got a coppery colour, as I thought it matched the screws better, need to exchange it 
 
We finished up around lunch time - as we had to wait for the glued pieces to dry before we could put them back.  Truth be told, I didn't do all that much - but I was glad I was there

I suggested to Terry that we have lunch in Inglewood, and he was also interested to see the progress in the house, so I left, and he  came to the house around 15 minutes later

Showed him around, and also got him to help me bring in the Butlers sink for the kitchen - which I had in the boot of the passat

Then we walked up to Cafe 3517 and had some lunch - not bad

Terry went back to his after lunch, and I pottered around in the house and garden

Got a text from Damo inviting me to have pizza with him and Nicole at the Jarklin Fig Tree Watering Hole (between Serpentine and Boort).  We actually ended up having it at our place - in the bee room.  Very pleasant.

 Friday  - and back to Terry's - this time with the bowl, and 2nd hinge - this time in brass.  However this hinge was no good either, yes it was brass (plated), and it was 50ml, but it was too thick, so had to go back to IGA again.  Good thing I kept the receipts....

So, IGA had one like this - right width, but too short - 38mm.  It was either go into Bendigo, wait for Melbourne, or try David O


I tried David, and yay - he had 2 solid brass hinges - right length ie 50mm, right width, but no screws.



We used the screws from the thicker brass plated hinge - but first Terry had to rebate the holes in David's hinge - otherwise the screws would stick out too much, and the cupboard door wouldn't close properly....


Then  it was my job to screw the hinge back on, to screw the handles in properly where there had been missing screws, and to screw back on the missing handle    






 And now we come to the bowl - we placed it on the counter, and it's actually quite high.....(as the counter is higher than a regular bathroom counter)




So the idea is to recess it a little - ie about 10cm in or so - that means that we would probably lose the use of that first drawer


And here is the beginning of the replacement for that bodgy putty repair 


and heres the dodgy bit



Terry had also found a key that fit the lock (but we can't have it).  However it's a fairly simple lock - and we have a few spare keys  - so you never know...



I also took measurements - as we could buy 2 x new replacement locks - that would do the job.  Maybe we will, may we won't, we'll just see if the doors close properly





Lastly, Terry had found some old handle pulls that he gave us - but first he had to modify the handle as the handle hole was round, but the pull attachment was square

It was my job to screw back on the handles





Finished up around lunchtime again - and he gave me some lunch this time  - homemade sausage rolls - yum













No comments:

Post a Comment